Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Shibori Pretty Darn Close!




Well, now that I'm about to blog, I realize I haven't taken a ta-da picture. But, I'll blog away anyway. I finished. Big sigh of happiness. The Shibori-esque scarf from Folk Style is an accomplishment. It was very easy. I threw it in the wash in a pillowcase, along with the sheets and pillowcases and washed on hot. Then, because it seemed a little long (a lot), I tossed it in the dryer for good measure. It was still too long so I cut in the middle and had a nice lie down in a dark room. Once that was behind me I cut each side to a proper length and reattached. To cover the seam I did a little bit of free-hand embroidery with the green wool and will probably rewash the scarf to leech the color out of the wool so it matches the rest of the green wool. Actually, then, after wearing it around it was STILL too long for the picture in the book, and for what I wanted, which was NOT a long scarf. Not feeling like ripping out the new seam, I just snipped off the bottom of the wine colored side and now I am extremely happy plus I have lots of lovely felted material. The scarf is very soft, very, very alpaca soft and very pretty. As the alpaca felted it made a great, subtle bumpy pattern.
Not using the recommended yarn (I used Frog Tree Alpaca Sport Weight) I over knit. I definitely want to make this again and will use the same yarn, as it felted like a dream. BUT, I'll use one skein of the light color and 2 of the dark color.


To celebrate I bought lots of lovely yarn at Woolbearers (do I know of the existence of another LYS?---well, yes, but they have everything I want or a reasonable substitution--so why bother?). To begin with, Manos Silk and Wool blend. Oh, this is heaven. It is so soft that you have to hold it to your cheek and caress it, and the colors are as lovely as the regular Manos kettle dyed,just slightly more subdued. I chose the colorway which is green, gold, pinks and wines. It was a tough, tough choice and I feel an overwhelming need to go back for more. I'm going to do this up in a cute little scarf from One Skein Wonders that's sort of curlicue and will be very cute with jeans and turtlenecks. This will help pass the time while I figure out what to do with all the other marvelous colors...maybe the Clapotis from knitty that cries out for a yarn decision? Many thanks to Beth for helping me to narrow down my choice on the Manos...gol'darn but that girl can put colors and patterns together like nobody's business.


I also chose a thick n thin version of Matts Tats, Suzie's own hand dyed for the creation of the Little Monster Bear in 101 Designer One Skein Wonders. About two hours start to finish to knit him up, another hour to sew and stuff him up and now I'm thinking of making him into a girl, because she seems to need a little ruffly pink net tutu.
Then, on Ravelry, I found a designer who makes these little crocheted dolls that are animals, flowers, superheroes...all sorts of little cutenesses. Had to have the pattern for Lana the Little Lamb Girl by Mia Zamora Johnson. She's supposed to be made out of worsted weight, but I bought a sport weight cotton to make her in teeny size.
I also needed needles (when don't I) and the Spring '08 copy of Interweave Knits. I refuse to get IK by subscription, it's so much more satisfying to get it in the store because you can instantly discuss and review patterns with BKFs (best knitting friends)! Not shown, because that was a whole 'nother basket is "Son of Stitch 'n Bitch" and 10 skeins of Cascade 220 in white. There's a great sweater pattern inside SSnB for a cable sweater called Pub Crawler and that's going to be the next project...just as soon as I take pictures of the completed Shibori Sweater!
And, not least, certainly not last, half an inch will see me finish the second sock of Matt's Tatts Cestari Sock Yarn toe-up socks. Heaven...they are the softest, yummiest pieces of luscious sock heaven I will be putting on my feet. Like felt, only not.Pulled those out of the workbasket on Monday afternoon and said "why aren't you done yet?" 14 rows of stockinette and then 1&1/2" of k1p1 and they'd be done...why is it you get totally stalled...becalmed, can't stand the sight of 'em socks...and then one day they are okay again and let's get 'em done.
7am...time to stop thinking about knitting and start the workday, so I can make the money to buy the yarn...

No comments: