Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bird's Nest Pin Cushion


I have made the sweetest little present from the book "Closely Knit" by Hannah Fettig. This is the birds nest pin cushion and it took me no time to make it and it was fun to make!

I used Lambs Pride Worsted in Sable for the nest and Nashua Creative Focus Worsted in Mint (really a robins egg blue) for the five little eggs. While the pattern calls for a size 6 dpn, I didn't have those and used 5s. I followed the pattern for the nest just as it says. I knit the first egg as it says, but I found it easier to modify the instructions so that I did the rest from the bottom up.

I love this little project and plan on making a few for Christmas gifts. I've already given one to my dear friend Suzie and I'm making one for me now!

Socks for family members are on two different sets of needles. On one set is "Second Hand Rose" a lovely hand dyed sock yarn from Woolbearers. On the other is Kroy Sock Yarn in a gray-brown. I also have a pair of mitts in Puente de Este's Java Yarn going; I'm heading towards the finish of my Shetland Shawl project and my February Lady's Sweater has about 3" to go before I start on the sleeves.

I love to knit. The needles move on their own, the fabric increases bit by bit. Sometimes I have to concentrate on a pattern, sometimes the pattern moves through my fingertips without conscious thought. It is grace.

No comments: