Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Long Time No Blog

For a woman who's not working, what's my excuse for not blogging? I can't believe I haven't blogged since March and here it is July 2. Well, after working and working and working, I got laid off at the beginning of May. along with 4,000 other people from Merrill Lynch. Very depressed about it and that could be one reason why I didn't blog. And angry about it, too. Lot's of why me's dancing about in my head. I'm sure that song is singing in the heads of the other 3,999. So, I'm job hunting and still working and re-working my resume.





But, enough of that. I will find a job and it will be a GREAT one! I met lots of terrific people on the last job and that was a wonderful thing, they enriched my life for the short time I knew them and I learned things there that I will take with me to the next job.



I have been knitting and knitting lots. I've made socks from Lorna's Lace in a very pretty yellow, pink and orange colorway called Winona. I call it Sherbet and I worked it up in Feather and Fan. I started them on Memorial Day and had the first sock finished on June 5. The second sock is languishing only because I set aside---somewhere---the pattern I used when casting off the toe for the first sock and I know it doesn't really matter, they're socks, but I would like them to look even when I am gushing over them...so until I find what I did with the pattern the second sock is done except for the toe.



Then, I began work on a sweater for my roommate from the "Son of Stitch and Bitch" book and the pattern is called Pub Crawler. The pattern calls for two colors but I'm doing it all in white. It's a very pretty, easy to remember cable done over 12 rows. With any luck and few distractions I may have it done for the holidays.




Next, I am making a Shetland Shawl for myself from hand dyed fingering weight yarn that has purples, blues, corals, pinks, browns and golds in it. That will be the center square and then I'm thinking to edge it in a raisin-y color. This is from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workship, the Stonington Shawl pattern. I'm doing it on size 7 needles.



Finally, I made a little baby sweater for a friend and his wife who had a baby boy on Memorial Day. The pattern is from a booklet put out by Cottage Creations and it is called Lillie's Little Sweater. The pattern calls for a hood, but I skipped that. Hoods always seem to stay in place while baby's face goes inside it. The sweater is worked from the top down and that seems to make the work go faster. I love those sweaters! I made this one with another of Suzie's hand-dyed yarn, this one a Superwash Worsted Weight, so the new mom can pitch the sweater in the washer. I also used plastic buttons, again so it can be pitched in the machine w/o fear that the buttons will break. High end luxury yarns and buttons are terrific, but not for baby sweaters that are going to be worn and used!


More to follow -

No comments: